Friday, August 19, 2011

Nursing


This is my grandmother Flossy (aka Momma).  Honestly it doesn't look anything like her, and I think it makes her look like she was from 1850 or something, when really it was taken in probably the 1940s.  But it's the only photo I have of her in her nurse's uniform.

Flossy trained for several years to be a nurse.  She went to a nurses' college, and told me about how she would sit up late at night in her closet where there was a little light, studying after light's out.  She also told me about her roommate, who would constantly fall asleep during class.  She never finished nursing school though, because she caught tuberculosis from one of the hospital patients.  She was bedridden for over a year, but she survived.  Strong woman!

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture! It's always fun to hear what it was like when grandmas were our age :)

    ReplyDelete